Monday, March 23, 2009

One Man Show

[Author's note: as expected, I didn't come up with an idea for a movie or tv show. oops.]

Tonight, Jordan and I went to a show at The Upright Citizen's Brigade Theater, or UCB. First, we're preeeeetty sure we saw Zach Galifianakis in attendance. That was pretty cool. We saw two performances. The 2nd performance I'm sorry to say was not really funny and consisted of a few people doing about 9 short sketches.

But the first performance was amazing. It was presented as this crazy, celebrity lady having recently died and everyone in the audience was attending her funeral. A portion of her video will would be played on the screen and then she would talk about a person close to her. Then this girl (who had played the celebrity on the tape) would come out and play the character. Some of the characters she played were a 9 year old niece, a blind cousin, a lawyer, and Gloria Estefan. It was funny and I loved how the video was mixed into the performance.

I think I may have realized two things tonight. 1) I want to marry this girl. 2) I would love to do something like this myself one day. It's been a long time since those high school musical days.

I remember after my first year of Bloom when I realized I hated it there, I had seriously thought about dropping out and moving to Chicago to take classes at Second City. Things have certainly worked out very well for me, so I guess I made the right decision. I could take classes in improve or sketch writing at the UCB, Jordan has taken a couple.

But I think doing a one man show is something I would want to do. I have thought about doing stand-up, but I don't think I'd be good at telling straight-up jokes, where as telling stories is something I can be good at.

Did this entry have a point?

No comments:

Post a Comment